Greater Redmond Historical Society © 2013 Site by Dhyzen Creative Services
By 1910, when Redmond was incorporated the population had reached 216 and the downtown was lined with commercial storefronts. That year also saw the formation of a volunteer fire department, library, small hospital, town bank, laundry, lumberyard and several new businesses.
Redmond's early beginnings are directly tied to the coming of the railroad. On September 21, 1911 the golden spike was driven in place signaling the completion of the rail line. To mark the occasion, a huge annual Railroad Days Celebration was held and town folk from around the area came to participate in the festivities.
Some old timers remember William Wilson, owner of the Redmond Hotel, which was built in 1928, coming out to the street with a cowbell during the 1920's to call the local businessmen to lunch. The Redmond Hotel was billed as the finest hotel east of the mountains.
In 1943, the U.S. Air Force selected Redmond for a B17 and P38 Training Base, which eventually led to the establishment of commercial air service at Roberts Field after World War II. Currently, Redmond is a progressive full-service municipality and is considered one of the fastest growing industrial and residential communities in Oregon, currently hosting a population of about 27,000 residents; the growth rate continues to be about 11 percent per year.